Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Blank Page

A Blank Page.

Psalm 119:32
You know, a wise person once instructed me in writing down scripture that the Lord speaks to me on index cards. One frequented verse  is Luke 11:9 "Ask and it shall be given you, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened unto you." Another is Psalm 90:17 "And may the Lord our God show us his approval and make our efforts successful. Yes, make our efforts successful!"
I have a stack of cards in my Bible filled with verses on both sides. Verses the Lord gave me before I was ever called to New York. Verses that assured the calling to New York. Verses that got me through New York. Verses that brought me back home. Those verses were there for me every time I was having a crisis of some sort. I would just pick up a card, and the Lord would hand me the exact verse. I would feel like a nothing, with nothing to hold onto, and He would remind me of His promises over and over. Those verses are as familiar to me as air. My life support. “I will hide His word in my heart"(Ps 119:11). “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path” (Ps 119:105.)

Well, today, as I was driving to Wal-Mart (a commodity not located in NYC,) I felt myself question some new paths the Lord seems to be laying before my feet. I dramatically reached over to my bible and pulled out a card (almost hitting a curb…) and looked down - expecting that perfect answer He has been giving me for YEARS. However, what I saw was a blank card. Nothing on either side. And it hit me. This script is new. This time is new. This season is new. It’s being written now.

Those verses were all there to encourage my season before and during New York. And those verses were promises of things to come. Promises to be fulfilled. And quite frankly, I thought they were going to be fulfilled in New York. But “my thoughts are not your thoughts and my ways aren’t your ways”(Is 55:8.)
So I happened to be reading a devotional tonight and got Ps. 119:32. The majority of the devotion focused on our potential and how it is so much greater than we know - and about what we can achieve when God multiplies our efforts .Ps 90:17 “And may the Lord our God show us his approval
and make our efforts successful.” This has been my prayer. Let our efforts be successful . Then, the light came on. I realized that God is about to send me into something He’s been preparing me for now, and I have to let go of New York.

His purpose is now. Not last year. Not last month, Not last season. Now.

If we really turn our lives over to Him. We have to trust Him with every second. Even when those seconds don’t necessarily involve my own personal plan.

So - do I abandon? Do I let go? Do I move forward into something that I didn’t for all intents and purposes ask for? Or did I ask for this, and God is just giving me something in a package I definitely did not expect? It even seems to be marked with a sense of Humor only God can produce. And How many times did I pray for God to make my efforts successful?

So what verse did God give me for my blank page?
I will run the course of your commandments, for you shall enlarge my heart. Ps. 119:32.

He will choose the time and place. We just go.

No comments:

Post a Comment